12 August 2007

Life Balance Meme

If this is any indication of how unbalanced my life has been, Miriam of AnceStories tagged me back on the April 6, 2007 to write an article about balancing my life. Little did she know how hairy my life, even scary, it was at that time. Now I am getting back on track enough to set down and write this.



She tagged me and four other to join in this Life Balance Meme. The instuctions are to answer any, all of the questions or simply share your thoughts on balancing life. The questions are:


  1. How do you achieve balance in your life? hmmmm good question. My family would say I don't. My parents would tell you they are afraid I am addicted to my computer, my husband for once in his life would probably agree with them on this one thing only. I'm not saying they are wrong. I do have a passion for what I do. What can I say genealogy makes me happy. If I play my cards right I might just be able to make a living at it. I can't say my life has ever been balanced. I'm a very passionate person. I never do anything half way. I always go all out, especially when it's something I'm passionate about.

  2. What is your biggest challenge in balancing your life? My biggest challenge in spending enough time with my children and getting the project around the house and the house cleaning done. I do spend more time with my children now then I did when I was working, but still they play with each other and with the neighborhood kids alot. However I don't let them veg out in front of the TV. But then again growing up I can't say my mother spent time doting over my brother and I either. We spent a lot of time just playing, the two of us.

  3. What are your priorities? First it's my family, followed by a very close second with my genealogy. I spend parts of my day making sure my house stays clean and if I have time and the energy I'll do a project like painting or organizing the house. But then nap time and at night are spent at my computer doing my genealogy. On Wednesdays I am now taking the kids with me to the library and Family History Center (at least till school starts). It's good for them to learn to go somewhere where they have to be quiet and encourage them more to enjoy books.

  4. How have your priorities changed over time and why? The biggest change was when our daughter was born. I became a stay at home mom. It was time to put my family first. I use to put my career in sales first. I would work all day, then come home and spend time on the computer, reading books, and finding ways to improve my skills as a sales person. I think my husband in some ways has learned to live with the fact that my passions control me more than I control them. I've really had to learn to put them in check. Especially with the genealogy. Otherwise the house and kids would be neglected completely. There have even been points that I've had to put myself in check by making a schedule only allowing myself so much time on the computer in order to get back to my family and the home. I always slide, but someone always thumps me on the head and wakes me up. It's a battle for me to stay in balance.

  5. What advice can you share to help all of us balance our own lives? I can say I do best when I make a schedule. When I make is a priority to put my family and home first. Of course I've got a dear wonderful husband who often reminds me when I'm sliding. It's never a pleasant moment when he does, but I know it's for the good of our whole family and I love him for it. You really need to know what is important in your life and make sure you have it at the top of your list, but it never hurts to have someone at your side that can help you realize when your life has fallen out of balance.

Wow after that I'd almost say that was also a tribute to my dear husband. It was a sore subject last week. When he was last home and off the road we of course had a day long discussion about how he was out earning a living for his family and I wasn't getting the house painted, or exactly clean and the kids (of course he was wrong on this note) were raising themselves. If that were the case my kids would be at every other neighbors house instead of all the darn kids at my house driving me crazy. I do keep my kids close, always where I can see them. But my husband was right about the house. I've not gotten back on track and getting projects done. You know it feels good when you can cross another item off your list.


Speaking of items to finish on my list I guess it's a toss up between filing that stack of bills and other papers or going out back, turning on the porch light and doing some more painting while its cool.


I'm suppose to tag five others to write about and pass along the meme. My victims are:


No comments:

Followers

Twitter Followers

BlogCatalog