09 August 2010

Madness Monday - Daisy Dollie Lee Dean Riddle 1890-1966

I've pulled up Daisy's file again, so I'm bringing this post back up. I really want to solve this mystery.

My next plan of attach:
  1. Find a marriage record for James J Dean and Mary. According to the 1900 census they were married for 13 years, so about 1887. The problem lies in where to look. She was born in IT, but we don't know her maiden name. He was from IL. Their oldest living son was born in MO (there were three other children not living by 1900) and by 1900 they are in KS. It's likely that they were married in the place their first child was born.
    But here is the interesting part. Ulias is likely not Mary's child, and Mary may be a second marriage for James. Ulias is 16 in the 1900 census and James and Mary had only been married for 13 years at that point. So it's likely that in MO James lost one wife (the mother of Ulias) and married another. Or the census record is wrong on the number of years that they had been married. If you take out the number of years, then everything else about Ulias lend to the idea that Mary is his mother. So it's possible that they had been married more like 18-17 years.
  2. Death records of Mary and James Dean. I have been unable to find James or Mary after the 1900 census. Starting with Cherokee County, KS I will search for any death records for them.
  3. Marriage record of Daisy Dean and Sam D Riddle. They were married about 1907. In 1910 they were in Atoka County, OK, so I will start there. Atoka Co., OK can also be considered as a possible death place for Mary and James Dean.

I mentioned Daisy Dollie Riddle a few weeks ago in another Madness Monday post when I wrote about her husband Sam D Riddle. At that time all I knew is that she was the second wife of Sam D Riddle. They were married about 1909 and that was based on the 1910 and 1930 census records. I also knew based on the California Death Index 1940-1997 that she was born 2 Oct 1890 in Oklahoma and died 27 April 1966 in Stanislaus, CA. One more piece of information from the 1930 census record further confirmed to me and the family that Daisy was most likely Native American. She was listed as born in OK, father of Mixed Blood (origin unknown) and mother was Pottawatomie.

After talking to my mother-in-law a few weeks ago she agreed to go to the court house, where they live and also where Daisy died, and obtain her death record. She called me this weekend to give me the details. From this Stanislaus County Death Certificate is further confirmed the birth and death dates above as well as giving me her full name which was Daisy Dollie Lee DEAN RIDDLE. I don't know how she ended up with so many names, but I suspect her parents likely named her Daisy Lee DEAN and Dollie was what everyone called her from what I understand. So when Uncle Bill reported on her death he just listed the whole name. It also listed her father as Jim DEAN and mother unknown.

She had lived in CA for 15 years and in Stanislaus County for five of those years. From Grandma Estelle's (the wife of Daisy's son Sam C) account of history they moved to CA and lived first around Bakersfield working in the fields and living in tents. It was a very hard life. It wasn't until her children were grown and on there own that Daisy had the privilege of living in a home with four walls and a roof over her head.

So with this new information I began looking for a Daisy DEAN with a father named Jim. I did find one family that fit. A 1900 Census from Salamanca, Cherokee Co., Kansas.

Name: Daisy Dean
Home in 1900: Salamanca, Cherokee, Kansas
Age: 8
Birth Date: Oct 1891
Birthplace: Arkansas
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Gender: Female
Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
Father's Name: James J
Father's Birthplace: Illinois
Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace: Indian Territory
Marital Status: Single
Residence : Columbus City, Cherokee, Kansas
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James J Dean 45
Mary Dean 32
Ulias Dean 16
Aura L Dean 11
Daisy Dean 8

The only problem with this is that Daisy's birth year is listed as 1891 not 1890 and her birth place is Arkansas not Oklahoma. But these mistakes happen in Census records all the time. The one thing I did find interesting is that her mother Mary was born in Indian Territory. This would lead me to believe there is a true connection here since we are looking for a mother of Pottawatomie blood born in OK. Based on the 1910 Census taken of Sam and Daisy just after they were married she listed her mother as born in OK and father born in IL which matches this family completely.

I also found another member on Ancestry that does have this same information and some other facts I'm not sure enough of it to post right now, but she did know from her family that the Daisy in her record did marry a Sam Riddle and that was about all she knew of the family. She also had the above family members listed. So I may or may not be on to something here, but at this point I haven't found anything more to confirm I have the right family.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am granddaughter of Ulias Dean. 4047141821

Unknown said...

My g grandfather James H Dean was married to Mary Nichols. My grandfather was ulias Dean and he had a 1/2 sister Daisy whom arrived Sam Riddle

Unknown said...

James Dean is my ggrandfather Ulias grandfather 405 714 1821

Followers

Twitter Followers

BlogCatalog